Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A game- and sooner than I had dared hope...

Looks as though an awesome 1st edition group is forming at the Guild at Wollongong University- turns out there are AD&D players in the 'Gong I knew nothing about! Might be a round-robin in terms of DMing, but that's great- I'd love another chance at running a PC for AD&D anyway. Hopefully my game will come up soon enough on the roster, so I'm prepping my campaign at triple-time for Monday night just in case.

In order not to railroad my PCs, I'm leaving  Castle Greyhawk as the nominal focal point of the campaign, but placing a bunch of other dungeons (at least one another megadungeon) around the Cairn Hills- I won't place credit for those at this point in case my players get wind of this blog, but these other dungeons (renamed) include:
1- Old Greyhawk Dungeon
2- Lonesome Hill Dungeon
3- Tower of the Apprentice
4- The Spore Caverns

My PC's might also choose to tramp it overland to the Temple of Elemental Evil. I'm even considering modding out Maure Castle and Rappan Athuk for my campaign (though at a later stage). The plan is that many (or at least several )campaigns might take place in this area over the coming years- but especially that the players can choose what to explore and where to go, with their success based to a large degree upon the quality of the information they gather ahead of time...

I'll also be allowing for the possibility that they might simply want to bum around the Free City for a while- city encounters will be at hand, but also, the urge to refill limp coin purses should be an admirable goad into the various catacombs about the place...

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic news, I look forward to hearing how things go. I know the feeling of not being able to play an old school game for a long period and then finally getting a game. It's like coming home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! Players from my regular group urge caution as I don't personally know many of these players, but from my perspective, that's part of the fun! I'm really interested in a big rolling club game, with players coming and going but the campaign rolling on regardless (not exactly West Marches but you get my drift). It remains to be seen how this will turn out, but I have to say, I'm raring to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the experience of joining a group in which I only knew one person, and I didn't know him very well. It felt a bit strange at first, especially since they were already in the middle of a campaign, but I had fun. Sounds like this new group will be fun for you too.

    ReplyDelete