Friday, March 11, 2011

Likely Approach-Route to Castle Greyhawk

Well, here's my map for the subterranean tunnels below the ridge of the Pleasure Garden of Eurymele. I'm still developing my ideas for these lairs, but the basic premise is that the most intuitive entry into Castle Greyhawk- via the main gate, will most likely involve an approach over this ridge, and that, due to the ruined state of the  eastern bridge, many parties will likely stumble upon the Kobold Tunnels or Orc Bastions in an attempt to scale the ridge. Curiosity killed the cat...

These lairs will, as I've heard the Mouths of Madness do, present minimal challenges to determined parties, however, largely due to the slipshod attention to guard detail on the part of the humanoid denizens. In the process of exploring them, any clues as to some of the worst local perils as yet unbeknownst to the party, should be furnished via interaction with the inhabitants. Clues as to the presence of the satyrs or the werewolf should be at hand if I DM well.

The Lair of the Lycanthrope is unlikely to be stumbled upon accidentally. The entrance is well-hidden- almost entirely concealed by dense brambles. Still, you never know...

One reason I have now decided to 'derail' attempts on Monday night to go straight to the castle is that, even provided I finish stocking these lairs this weekend (ain't gonna happen- I have reading to do instead), the party might just as likely try to enter the Castle through the ruined rear wall, and I haven't even MAPPED the lairs that festoon the castle-ridge itself. I think it will be best for all if I make a hard sell of the encouraging prospects of the Lonesome Hill Dungeon for this week, a lair fully fleshed out, though by someone else in the OSR, not I. Speculate away, but my lips, for now at least, are sealed...

2 comments:

  1. It's always incredibly inspiring when a gamer's map is actually a work of art. Great stuff.

    As for leading players elsewhere because you're not quite ready for the main event, I've had to do that many times, but only because I'm a lazy procrastinator who puts off everything till the last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, thanks for the compliment Dave. :)

    Yeah, I don't intend to railroad them as such, but it's tricky when you're getting things off the ground a few weeks ahead of schedule. All will be well, I'm sure...

    ReplyDelete